Monday, September 29, 2014

Lies we tell ourselves

Lies we tell ourselves
Net Galley
Harlequin Teen
stand alone
Sept 30

Linda is a white girl and the daughter of the editor of the paper in town. She doesn't want any black kids at the school. Sarah is black girl , and this will be her senior year. She is one of 10 children being integrated into the school .

Linda doesn't want them there because they are ruining her prom. Sarah just wants to survive being at the school . They are both telling their sides of their story. Linda has a study boy friend but he is much older. They plan on getting married after she is done with school . Sarah wants to go to college. Sarah also is having feelings for girls.

Sarah and Linda get assigned a project for a class, and they have to work together . Linda doesn't tell her father about working with Sarah. Through this experience they grow to know one another , and also discuss the many things with segregation. Sarah also is fighting her feelings for Linda. Judy is both of their friends, and she also grows during this year. Linda and Sarah both love to sing, and they both end up on Choir.

This book was very good, and very thought provoking of times. I wasn't alive when this happened. I felt that this book tackled what in that year. I loved the different point of views. I felt that the girls struggled with their faith, being a christian, and their sexuality. Both girls changed over this year , and it was apparent in their choices. I loved that girls grew beyond color. Many family issues were touched upon from beating , faith, drinking. One of the girls felt invisible in their family. I loved that this book did have active parents with both girls. I loved this book, and it was amazing. I highly recommend that you read this book. 

Book Review= A

Thanks so much to Harlequin Teen and this is my Honest Review

1 comment:

  1. I have this book and I'm looking forward to reading it after all the glowing reviews I've seen.

    ReplyDelete

Help me feed the Monkeys--We love comments

We are an award free zone. Thanks so much for all the previous awards, but I can't continue passing them on at this time. Thanks